The NSW and Federal Governments have renewed destructive 20 year logging deals know as ‘Regional Forest Agreements’. These agreements exempt logging from national environment laws and have resulted in the deaths of countless native species over the past 20 years, helping drive many – like the koala – to the brink of extinction.
Australia is in the midst of an extinction crisis! If like me you are fed up with our leaders making reckless decisions contrary to good science and public opinion, you can support NPA to continue our campaign to end industrial logging of our public native forests.
With federal and state elections fast approaching we must act now. We must demand that all parties commit to reversing these logging laws and protecting our natural heritage. These forests are on public land and belong to everyone!
With your help, over the next few months we will:
- Build a blueprint for an independent and comprehensive scientific and economic review of RFAs and advocate for its implementation
- Raise community awareness of the impacts of industrial logging on wildlife through the screening of cinema ads up and down the coast
- Explore legal avenues for challenging the RFAs and protecting state forests from industrial logging
- Continue to advocate and build a strong supporter base for the creation of the Great Koala National Park
- Advocate for a return to science-based environment policies that protect our unique wildlife and stunning natural areas.
The ‘Regional Forest Agreements’ were a bad idea at the outset and 20 years of evidence has shown them to have failed1 By renewing them the Prime Minister and Premier have deliberately chosen to continue down a path of forest destruction, wildlife slaughter and extinction. In doing so our governments have chosen to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, by passing up a golden chance to protect forests for wildlife, water and carbon stores with minimal social disruption.
It is now up to us to protect our forests, will you join us?